The Apache Ant Team is pleased to announce the release of Apache Ant 1.10.6.
Apache Ant is a Java library and command-line tool that helps building
The Apache Ant team currently maintains two lines of development. The
1.9.x releases require Java5 at runtime and 1.10.x requires Java8 at
runtime. Both lines are based off of Ant 1.9.7 and the 1.9.x releases
are mostly bug fix releases while additional new features are developed
for 1.10.x. We recommend using 1.10.6 unless you are required to use
versions of Java prior to Java8 during the build process.
This, Ant 1.10.6 release, consists several bug fixes as well as
enhancements, including, but not limited to:
- junitlauncher task now supports fork mode, to launch the tests in a
- New tasks jmod and link have been introduced to support jmod and jlink
tools of JDK 9+.
Source and binary distributions are available for download from the
Apache Ant download site:
When downloading, please verify signatures using the KEYS file available
at the above location when downloading the release.
Changes in 1.10.6 include:
Changes that could break older environments:
* image task no longer works on Java 9+ because internal classes
supporting Java Advanced Imaging are removed; imageio task (based on
ImageIO and AWT) is provided as a replacement.
* junitlauncher task has changed the class names and package names of
the task as well as some of the supporting classes of that task. If
any code depended on these class or package names, they will have to
be updated to reference these newly named classes. This however,
doesn't impact build scripts if their reference to junitlauncher task
was merely through the use of the <junitlauncher> element.
* ClearCase#runS has been augmented by a two arg-version and the
one-arg version will no longer be called. This may affect
subclasses that have overridden runS.
* fetch.xml must retrieve runtime rather than compile dependencies for
Bugzilla Report 62621
* Fixes an issue in junitreport task, which used to throw a
java.net.MalformedURLException when saxon was used on Windows OS.
Bugzilla Report 62594
* augment task now throws a BuildException (as noted in its manual)
instead of a IllegalStateException in the absence of the "id" attribute.
Bugzilla Report 62655
* org.apache.tools.zip.ZipOutputStream would sometimes potentially use
an incorrect compression level for a zip entry. This is now fixed.
Bugzilla Report 62686
* sync task, in some cases on case insensitive file systems, would consider
a file in a destination directory to be orphaned and would delete it.
This task has now been fixed to infer the case sensitivity of the
of the destination directory.
Bugzilla Report 62890
* Fixes a potential java.util.ConcurrentModificationException in
Github Pull Request #81
* cccheckout would ignore an error of the "ls checkout" command even
if failOnError was set to false.
Bugzilla Report 63071
* The isreachable condition could in some cases return true even if the
actual address could potentially be unreachable. This is now fixed
and the resolved address is actually checked for reachability.
* Fixes an issue where scp transfer completion tracking wasn't being
triggered for 100% completion.
Github Pull Request #91
* generatekey task now supports SubjectAlternativeName during key
* the <modified> selector has a new built-in algorithm 'lastmodified'
which computes a value based upon the lastmodified time of the file.
* junitlauncher task now supports running tests in a forked JVM. More
details available in the junitlauncher task manual.
* signjar and verifyjar now support the -providerName, -providerClass
and -providerArg command line options of keytool via new attributes.
Bugzilla Report 65234
* signjar and verifyjar now supported nested <arg> elements for
command line arguments that are not supported explicitly by the
tasks via attributes.
* added several attributes to <javadoc> that support modules.
Bugzilla Report 62424
* properties used or set by BuildFileTask/BuildFileRule are documented
in MagicTestNames. A new magic property, ant.test.basedir.ignore, is
introduced for cases where Ant projects set up for test purposes
must ignore basedir set externally by test harness.
* a new CharSet type is provided for encoding or charset attributes in
tasks that must deal with different character encodings in files,
file names and other string resources.
* org.apache.tools.ant.AntClassLoader is now multi-release jar aware.
Starting Java 9, jar files can be packaged as multi-release jars,
AntClassLoader now recognizes such multi-release jar files while
loading resources at runtime in Java 9+ runtime environments.
Bugzilla Report 62952
* Added jmod and link tasks, to support jmod and jlink tools of JDK 9+.
Github Pull Request #80
* Jsch library dependency has now been upgraded to 0.1.55. Jsch is
the library behind the sshexec and scp Ant tasks.
Github Pull Request #84
* The "http" condition, now has a "readTimeout" attribute which can be
used to control the amount of time to wait for the read to complete.
Bugzilla Report 63193
* ftp task manual has been updated to mention that the remote listing of
files honours the followsymlinks attribute.
Bugzilla Report 63226
For complete information on Ant, including instructions on how to submit
bug reports, patches, or suggestions for improvement, see the Apache Ant