Quantcast

Invoking Ant programmatically with an Java-String

Invoking Ant programmatically with an Java-String

Jan Bartel

Hi everybody,

I try to invoke ant programmatically.
At the moment I use the following code to invoke ant from a build.xml:

    File buildFile = new File("build.xml");
    Project p = new Project();
    p.setUserProperty("ant.file", buildFile.getAbsolutePath());
    p.init();
    ProjectHelper helper = ProjectHelper.getProjectHelper();
    p.addReference("ant.projectHelper", helper);
    helper.parse(p, buildFile);
    p.executeTarget(p.getDefaultTarget());

Is there any possibility to invoke ant with an Java-String without using a
real build.xml ???

Thank you for your suggestions

CU

Re: Invoking Ant programmatically with an Java-String

Stefan Bodewig
On 2009-03-07, Jan Bartel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody,

> I try to invoke ant programmatically.
> At the moment I use the following code to invoke ant from a build.xml:

>     File buildFile = new File("build.xml");
>     Project p = new Project();
>     p.setUserProperty("ant.file", buildFile.getAbsolutePath());
>     p.init();
>     ProjectHelper helper = ProjectHelper.getProjectHelper();
>     p.addReference("ant.projectHelper", helper);
>     helper.parse(p, buildFile);
>     p.executeTarget(p.getDefaultTarget());

> Is there any possibility to invoke ant with an Java-String without using a
> real build.xml ???

Not easily.  Ant's projecthelper implementation wants to read from a
File and you really need a file when you want to resolve relative
paths and so on.

You could write your own ProjectHelper implementation which isn't too
hard to do, but in the end as soon as you want to do anything more
complex in your build file, you'll probably end up writing to a file
anyway.

Re: Invoking Ant programmatically with an Java-String

Gilbert Rebhan
Jan Bartel schrieb:
> Is there any possibility to invoke ant with an Java-String without using a
> real build.xml ???

if you want to use Ant without xml you may try =

1.Groovy / AntBuilder
http://groovy.codehaus.org/Ant+Integration+with+Groovy
or
2.Leafcutter
https://leafcutter.dev.java.net/

Regards, Gilbert

AW: Invoking Ant programmatically with an Java-String

Jan Bartel

Hi Stefan and Gilbert, thank you for your help :-)

>Not easily.  Ant's projecthelper implementation wants to read from a

>File and you really need a file when you want to resolve relative
>paths and so on.:t

I suppose reimplementing the projecthelper would fit my requirements .
Isn't there a way to set the basedir manually (programatically or with a tag) to cope with the problem of relative paths.

> if you want to use Ant without xml you may try ....

leafcutter and groovy/AntBuilder seem to be very powerful libraries but at the moment I have to focus on XML ....

Thank you