Ivy+IvyDE: help wanted

Jan Matèrne (jhm)
Hello community

the Ant PMC hasn't been able to keep up with bugs reported for Ivy and IvyDE
for a while now. The number of active committers with the required knowledge
of the code base is getting smaller and we are having a hard time evaluating
patches.

We'd like to revive Ivy and IvyDE, but we need your help.

If you are interested in developing Ivy, please step up and let us know. For
starters

- Sign an ICLA (formal requirement) http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

- Start providing a patch, either as pull request on the Github mirror or
  as a patch attached to a JIRA issue. We also need people reviewing
  patches already present for existing issues.

- we'll discuss the patches and ask you to join us on the dev
  list.

- Please nag us if we seem to be ignoring patches for too long -
  this probably is already the case for existing issues.

Jan Matèrne, on behalf of the Apache Ant community

Re: Ivy+IvyDE: help wanted

Jaikiran Pai
Thanks Jan for initiating this.

On the ICLA front -  I already have contributed and continue to contribute to some other Apache projects (these days mostly via github). Do I still have to sign the ICLA? Is there a way to check if I have already signed this ICLA previously? I don’t remember if I was asked to do that for the other Apache projects.

As for patches, I had submitted one a while back and need someone to review it https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/pull/10/files.

Few other things:

- As I have noted in the past, in some mails[1] to the dev list, I am willing to help out in whatever way I can to move the project forward. As noted in some of those mails, I in no way have the complete understanding of the current codebase, but am willing to invest time as I go along to help fixing issues and adding enhancements wherever I can. One of the recent things I had attempted was to triage some issues in the Ivy JIRA and see if we can come to a decision on pushing out a new release with at least a few of them fixed. That discussion did get some community discussion but couldn’t achieve much given that there wasn’t any actionable involvement from those who could really do a release. In short, I would like to give this another try and see how it goes.

- From a development point of view, given that there aren’t many who are familiar with the codebase, it would really help build some kind of confidence level in submitted patches, if the github repo was backed by the usual PR processing mechanism that’s associated with many other Apache projects out there. What I mean is, submission of each PR triggering the builds, testcases through a build automation tool (like Jenkins) and reporting back with any issues with existing test cases.

- Finally, IMO, given how long this project has gone without any development or a release, I think it would be good to really aim for a release in the next few months. It doesn’t have to contain too many fixes or enhancements, but something to get the release train going and making contributors feel it’s worth their time.

On the IvyDE front, I think in the past few months there was a community member who did do a good job, IMO, to make sure the builds are back to working, so I think that project too has seen someone who’s willing to help.

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@.../msg45129.html

-Jaikiran

On 16-May-2017, at 3:19 PM, Jan Matèrne (jhm) <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Stefan Bodewig
On 2017-05-16, J Pai wrote:

> On the ICLA front -  I already have contributed and continue to
> contribute to some other Apache projects (these days mostly via
> github). Do I still have to sign the ICLA?

Whether a CLA is strictly required or not isn't always clear. Strictly
speaking the terms of the Apache License may be enough to cover
patches. Some projects prefer to go the extra mile. Often you try to
judge it by the size of the contribution.

In either case, an ICLA is required before anybody can become a
commtter.

> Is there a way to check if I have already signed this ICLA previously?
> I don’t remember if I was asked to do that for the other Apache
> projects.

http://people.apache.org/unlistedclas.html lists all people who have
submitted a CLA but are not committers.

> - As I have noted in the past, in some mails[1] to the dev list, I am willing to help out in whatever way I can to move the project forward. As noted in some of those mails, I in no way have the complete understanding of the current codebase, but am willing to invest time as I go along to help fixing issues and adding enhancements wherever I can. One of the recent things I had attempted was to triage some issues in the Ivy JIRA and see if we can come to a decision on pushing out a new release with at least a few of them fixed. That discussion did get some community discussion but couldn’t achieve much given that there wasn’t any actionable involvement from those who could really do a release. In short, I would like to give this another try and see how it goes.

This is very much appreciated, many thanks for doing that.

> - From a development point of view, given that there aren’t many who are familiar with the codebase, it would really help build some kind of confidence level in submitted patches, if the github repo was backed by the usual PR processing mechanism that’s associated with many other Apache projects out there. What I mean is, submission of each PR triggering the builds, testcases through a build automation tool (like Jenkins) and reporting back with any issues with existing test cases.

Are you aware of an Apache project performing PR builds on Jenkin? It
would probably help to look into the way they've set this up.

> - Finally, IMO, given how long this project has gone without any development or a release, I think it would be good to really aim for a release in the next few months. It doesn’t have to contain too many fixes or enhancements, but something to get the release train going and making contributors feel it’s worth their time.

And to figure out whether the release instructions work. Agreed.

AW: Ivy+IvyDE: help wanted

> On the ICLA front -  I already have contributed and continue to
> contribute to some other Apache projects (these days mostly via
> github). Do I still have to sign the ICLA?

The ICLA is for the ASF - so you don't have to sign a new one if you already have submitted one.

> Is there a way to check if I
> have already signed this ICLA previously? I don’t remember if I was
> asked to do that for the other Apache projects.

I have checked a file, but haven't found your name (Jaikiran) nor your email adress.
So I think best would be sending a new one.

> As for patches, I had submitted one a while back and need someone to
> review it https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/pull/10/files.

I'll try to have a look.

> - As I have noted in the past, in some mails[1] to the dev list, I am
> willing to help out in whatever way I can to move the project forward.
> As noted in some of those mails, I in no way have the complete
> understanding of the current codebase, but am willing to invest time as
> I go along to help fixing issues and adding enhancements wherever I
> can.

That's a good starting point. ;)

> One of the recent things I had attempted was to triage some issues
> in the Ivy JIRA and see if we can come to a decision on pushing out a
> new release with at least a few of them fixed. That discussion did get
> some community discussion but couldn’t achieve much given that there
> wasn’t any actionable involvement from those who could really do a
> release. In short, I would like to give this another try and see how it
> goes.

Fine.
Maybe it would be a good start to cut a release with the current code base.
That would show possible problems with the release process and it's a prerequisite for later releases.

> - From a development point of view, given that there aren’t many who
> are familiar with the codebase, it would really help build some kind of
> confidence level in submitted patches, if the github repo was backed by
> the usual PR processing mechanism that’s associated with many other
> Apache projects out there. What I mean is, submission of each PR
> triggering the builds, testcases through a build automation tool (like
> Jenkins) and reporting back with any issues with existing test cases.

+1
I don't know any automatisation of this kind. Someone else?
Something where we could copy that?

Re: Ivy+IvyDE: help wanted

Stefan Bodewig
On 2017-05-16, Jan Matèrne (jhm) wrote:

>> - From a development point of view, given that there aren’t many who
>> are familiar with the codebase, it would really help build some kind of
>> confidence level in submitted patches, if the github repo was backed by
>> the usual PR processing mechanism that’s associated with many other
>> Apache projects out there. What I mean is, submission of each PR
>> triggering the builds, testcases through a build automation tool (like
>> Jenkins) and reporting back with any issues with existing test cases.

> +1
> I don't know any automatisation of this kind. Someone else?
> Something where we could copy that?

I've just seen we seem to have the necessary Jenkins plugins installed
(there is a "GitHub Pull Request Builder" checkbox in the list of
potential build triggers). Unfortunately I won't find time to play with
Jenkins before the weekend.

Re: Ivy+IvyDE: help wanted

On 16-May-2017, at 6:09 PM, Jan Matèrne (jhm) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> - From a development point of view, given that there aren’t many who
> are familiar with the codebase, it would really help build some kind of
> confidence level in submitted patches, if the github repo was backed by
> the usual PR processing mechanism that’s associated with many other
> Apache projects out there. What I mean is, submission of each PR
> triggering the builds, testcases through a build automation tool (like
> Jenkins) and reporting back with any issues with existing test cases.

+1
I don't know any automatisation of this kind. Someone else?
Something where we could copy that?

Re: Ivy+IvyDE: help wanted

Jaikiran Pai
Here’s the instructions https://wiki.apache.org/general/PreCommitBuilds which Kafka team apparently followed. They tracked this activity in this JIRA https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1856

-Jaikiran

On 16-May-2017, at 6:20 PM, J Pai <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 16-May-2017, at 6:09 PM, Jan Matèrne (jhm) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> - From a development point of view, given that there aren’t many who
> are familiar with the codebase, it would really help build some kind of
> confidence level in submitted patches, if the github repo was backed by
> the usual PR processing mechanism that’s associated with many other
> Apache projects out there. What I mean is, submission of each PR
> triggering the builds, testcases through a build automation tool (like
> Jenkins) and reporting back with any issues with existing test cases.

+1
I don't know any automatisation of this kind. Someone else?
Something where we could copy that?

Re: Ivy+IvyDE: help wanted

Matt Sicker
The very interesting thing about Ivy, in my opinion, is that while it isn't
developed on that much currently, it's still the basis of SBT, Gradle, and
probably other build tools that are a bit more popular. I'm curious how all
those projects continue to use Ivy while its development seems somewhat
stalled here.

On 16 May 2017 at 07:53, J Pai <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here’s the instructions https://wiki.apache.org/general/PreCommitBuilds
> which Kafka team apparently followed. They tracked this activity in this
> JIRA https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1856
>
> -Jaikiran
>
> On 16-May-2017, at 6:20 PM, J Pai <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 16-May-2017, at 6:09 PM, Jan Matèrne (jhm) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > - From a development point of view, given that there aren’t many who
> > are familiar with the codebase, it would really help build some kind of
> > confidence level in submitted patches, if the github repo was backed by
> > the usual PR processing mechanism that’s associated with many other
> > Apache projects out there. What I mean is, submission of each PR
> > triggering the builds, testcases through a build automation tool (like
> > Jenkins) and reporting back with any issues with existing test cases.
>
> +1
> I don't know any automatisation of this kind. Someone else?
> Something where we could copy that?
>

> Apache Kafka are doing this for their github mirror
> https://github.com/apache/kafka/pulls. They had a discussion about this
> in their mailing list on how to setup. I’ll try and find if there’s some
> detailed instructions for Apache projects to follow this model.
>
> -Jaikiran

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Ivy+IvyDE: help wanted

Gintautas Grigelionis
Ivy is also a part of Groovy, through Grapes. There are quite a few forks
of Ivy on GitHub, perhaps it is worth the while to solicit PRs?

Meanwhile, I was asking for help/opinions about
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-1478 (updatesite resolver) which
would in turn help setting up builds for IvyDE (because Eclipse folks no
longer provide drops and OSGi resolver provided by Eclipse launcher is
cumbersome).

Re: Ivy+IvyDE: help wanted

Matt Sicker
Backporting changes from the various forks would be a great idea.

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Ivy+IvyDE: help wanted

Nicolas Lalevée

> Le 16 mai 2017 à 13:11, J Pai <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Thanks Jan for initiating this.
>
> On the ICLA front -  I already have contributed and continue to contribute to some other Apache projects (these days mostly via github). Do I still have to sign the ICLA? Is there a way to check if I have already signed this ICLA previously? I don’t remember if I was asked to do that for the other Apache projects.
>
> As for patches, I had submitted one a while back and need someone to review it https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/pull/10/files.
>
> Few other things:
>
> - As I have noted in the past, in some mails[1] to the dev list, I am willing to help out in whatever way I can to move the project forward. As noted in some of those mails, I in no way have the complete understanding of the current codebase, but am willing to invest time as I go along to help fixing issues and adding enhancements wherever I can. One of the recent things I had attempted was to triage some issues in the Ivy JIRA and see if we can come to a decision on pushing out a new release with at least a few of them fixed. That discussion did get some community discussion but couldn’t achieve much given that there wasn’t any actionable involvement from those who could really do a release. In short, I would like to give this another try and see how it goes.

Thank you Jaikiran. I hope this time this will work out.

I wanted to make things happen at the beginning of the year, but for some reason I lost motivation to do so. This time I’ll try better. I may not drive things, but I’ll get time to do some code review and merge things. Let’s go forward releases. If there are list of things people want to us to merge, it is the time to do so.

And so I have reviewed the PR #10. It's very good. Thank you. I merged it. It was just missing an update in the release notes, which I took care of.

Nicolas

> - From a development point of view, given that there aren’t many who are familiar with the codebase, it would really help build some kind of confidence level in submitted patches, if the github repo was backed by the usual PR processing mechanism that’s associated with many other Apache projects out there. What I mean is, submission of each PR triggering the builds, testcases through a build automation tool (like Jenkins) and reporting back with any issues with existing test cases.
>
> - Finally, IMO, given how long this project has gone without any development or a release, I think it would be good to really aim for a release in the next few months. It doesn’t have to contain too many fixes or enhancements, but something to get the release train going and making contributors feel it’s worth their time.
>
> On the IvyDE front, I think in the past few months there was a community member who did do a good job, IMO, to make sure the builds are back to working, so I think that project too has seen someone who’s willing to help.
>
> [1] https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@.../msg45129.html
>
> -Jaikiran
>
> On 16-May-2017, at 3:19 PM, Jan Matèrne (jhm) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello community
>
> the Ant PMC hasn't been able to keep up with bugs reported for Ivy and IvyDE
> for a while now. The number of active committers with the required knowledge
> of the code base is getting smaller and we are having a hard time evaluating
> patches.
>
> We'd like to revive Ivy and IvyDE, but we need your help.
>
> If you are interested in developing Ivy, please step up and let us know. For
> starters
>
> - Sign an ICLA (formal requirement) http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas
>
> - Start providing a patch, either as pull request on the Github mirror or
> as a patch attached to a JIRA issue. We also need people reviewing
> patches already present for existing issues.
>
> - we'll discuss the patches and ask you to join us on the dev
> list.
>
> - Please nag us if we seem to be ignoring patches for too long -
> this probably is already the case for existing issues.
>

> Jan Matèrne, on behalf of the Apache Ant community

Re: Ivy+IvyDE: help wanted

Jaikiran Pai
Thank you very much Nicolas. Having you around for code reviews and even just watching is definitely going to help a lot.

Thanks for merging that patch too.

-Jaikiran