Ivy release instructions

Jaikiran Pai
In order to move towards a release soon, I decided to come up with an
initial set of instructions that we might have to follow to generate the
release. Most of the instructions have been borrowed from Ant's release
process. Furthermore, the instructions are based on my checking out the
release build file and other such docs and as such hasn't been tried or
verified. That's going to be the next step.

The release instructions file resides here
https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/blob/master/release-instructions.adoc
and will needs edits/updates/fixes as we try it out. There's also some
sections which have TODOs and we will have to add details to those sections.

Jan/Stefan/Nicolas, given your past experience with the project and
releases in general, would you be willing to initiate this process? The
first round of this might not be publicly usable and we might have to
redo the steps as and when we fix things in the release process. So
maybe we should attempt an intermediate release before doing a 2.5.0.

I understand the release process is time consuming, so if neither of you
would be able to get to this and if there's no objections, I can
initiate these steps (and ask for specific help as I go along) for an
intermediate release. Once this goes well, we can then have any of us do
the final release (which should be much smoother).

Re: Ivy release instructions

Stefan Bodewig
On 2018-02-27, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

> The first round of this might not be publicly usable and we might have
> to redo the steps as and when we fix things in the release process. So
> maybe we should attempt an intermediate release before doing a 2.5.0.

As long as we stop before pushing anything into the release directories
of dist.apache.org or releasing maven artifacts from Nexus we don't need
any intermediate releases IMHO. Those final steps would only happen
after a successful release vote which should not happen unless the
result is usable :-)

> I understand the release process is time consuming, so if neither of
> you would be able to get to this and if there's no objections, I can
> initiate these steps (and ask for specific help as I go along) for an
> intermediate release. Once this goes well, we can then have any of us
> do the final release (which should be much smoother).

I can give it a try but likely won't get there before the weekend. To be
honest finishing my review of that JUnit5 PR for Ant somebody has
created would by higher on my personal priority list ;-)