Ivy website - fixing a Quickstart documentation live

Ivy website - fixing a Quickstart documentation live

J Pai
What would be the process of having the live docs of Ivy project updated to fix/update an issue in the documentation[1]?

The quickstart documentation refers to certain log files that get auto-generated during the doc build process. It looks like those log files weren’t uploaded and are resulting in a blank text area showing up. I can run the doc generation target locally (on 2.4.0 tag) and have someone upload those files and see if shows up fine.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-1542

Re: Ivy website - fixing a Quickstart documentation live

Gintautas Grigelionis
Is the documentation still in SVN? IVY-1542 is about site/sources/style
which is shared by Ivy and IvyDE. Are there any plans about migrating this
to Git and separating the source repo from publication repo?

> What would be the process of having the live docs of Ivy project updated
> to fix/update an issue in the documentation[1]?
>
> The quickstart documentation refers to certain log files that get
> auto-generated during the doc build process. It looks like those log files
> weren’t uploaded and are resulting in a blank text area showing up. I can
> run the doc generation target locally (on 2.4.0 tag) and have someone
> upload those files and see if shows up fine.
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-1542
>
> -Jaikiran

AW: Ivy website - fixing a Quickstart documentation live

Jan Matèrne (jhm)
The whole site is in svn and a server process (svnpubsub i think) is getting
the 'publish' files and pushing them to the webserver which brings them online.

We havent thought about a migrating that to git in the last few years ;)

If these files are really required, I could upload them.

Jan

The files mentioned in JIRA were absent for a couple of years. If they're
available, let's get them into the site repo, otherwise the css files must
be adjusted.

I remember there was a discussion about gitpubsub... perhaps if we
understand how current svnpubsub hooks are set up, going to gitpubsub
shouldn't be complicated. We'll need a dedicated repo to publish to
(ant-site-live), for starters, because that repo would aggregate publishing
from Ant, Ivy, and IvyDE. Then, we'll need a ant-site-source, and the
routines for getting parts of ant-site-live updated either from
ant-site-source or from documentation generated by builds for respective
project.

> The whole site is in svn and a server process (svnpubsub i think) is
> getting
> the 'publish' files and pushing them to the webserver which brings them
> online.
>
> We havent thought about a migrating that to git in the last few years ;)
>
> If these files are really required, I could upload them.
>

> Jan

By the way... we'll need ant-ivy-site-styles
<https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy-site-styles>, too :-)

Re: Ivy website - fixing a Quickstart documentation live

Nicolas Lalevée
The entire Ant site is in svn:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/site

There is a Readme.txt explaining a little bit stuff, but seems outdated since the migration to git. For Ivy and IvyDE, part of the site is built from the source for the projects. It used to be managed via svn:externals. Now there are ant tasks to run to the fetch of the sources. I have found an old discussion [1] we had about it which should help you.

By the way, the Ivy documentation is managed by an hand crafted html editor, xooki, just is good but quite slow. I did some work some time ago (2 years ago, time flies!) to try to migrate to asciidoc [2]. I can even see that locally I have a commit which for some reason I didn’t pushed. If we are still interested, I can revive this.

Nicolas

[1] http://ant.1045680.n5.nabble.com/stuck-with-site-generation-issue-for-ivy-td5715758.html <http://ant.1045680.n5.nabble.com/stuck-with-site-generation-issue-for-ivy-td5715758.html>
[2] https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/tree/xooki2asciidoc <https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/tree/xooki2asciidoc>

On 25-May-2017, at 5:26 PM, Nicolas Lalevée <[hidden email]> wrote:

> By the way, the Ivy documentation is managed by an hand crafted html editor, xooki, just is good but quite slow. I did some work some time ago (2 years ago, time flies!) to try to migrate to asciidoc [2]. I can even see that locally I have a commit which for some reason I didn’t pushed. If we are still interested, I can revive this.

I’m very much interested in having the docs moved to asciidoc. I use it in almost every other project I deal with and it’s a big motivation to continue to write documentation and is definitely a big improvement on what we currently have. It doesn’t have to be something that we push/force in this release, but if we can transition to this documentation system, it’s going to be great.

AW: Ivy website - fixing a Quickstart documentation live

Jan Matèrne (jhm)
+1 for asciidoc.
Using xooki means using a tool only few people know ...

Jan

Thanks everyone for the inputs.

I’m trying to get a proper build going locally for the site generation (and running into issues). Once I get a proper build and the fixes to the issues noted in that JIRA, I’ll send out an update. Hopefully soon.

-Jaikiran
On 25-May-2017, at 5:26 PM, Nicolas Lalevée <[hidden email]> wrote:

The entire Ant site is in svn:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/site

There is a Readme.txt explaining a little bit stuff, but seems outdated since the migration to git. For Ivy and IvyDE, part of the site is built from the source for the projects. It used to be managed via svn:externals. Now there are ant tasks to run to the fetch of the sources. I have found an old discussion [1] we had about it which should help you.

By the way, the Ivy documentation is managed by an hand crafted html editor, xooki, just is good but quite slow. I did some work some time ago (2 years ago, time flies!) to try to migrate to asciidoc [2]. I can even see that locally I have a commit which for some reason I didn’t pushed. If we are still interested, I can revive this.

Nicolas

[1] http://ant.1045680.n5.nabble.com/stuck-with-site-generation-issue-for-ivy-td5715758.html <http://ant.1045680.n5.nabble.com/stuck-with-site-generation-issue-for-ivy-td5715758.html>
[2] https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/tree/xooki2asciidoc <https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/tree/xooki2asciidoc>

> Le 25 mai 2017 à 06:12, J Pai <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> What would be the process of having the live docs of Ivy project updated to fix/update an issue in the documentation[1]?
>
> The quickstart documentation refers to certain log files that get auto-generated during the doc build process. It looks like those log files weren’t uploaded and are resulting in a blank text area showing up. I can run the doc generation target locally (on 2.4.0 tag) and have someone upload those files and see if shows up fine.
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-1542
>
> -Jaikiran

Re: Ivy website - fixing a Quickstart documentation live

Gintautas Grigelionis
asciidocs on Jython FTW :-)

> Thanks everyone for the inputs.
>
> I’m trying to get a proper build going locally for the site generation
> (and running into issues). Once I get a proper build and the fixes to the
> issues noted in that JIRA, I’ll send out an update. Hopefully soon.
>
> -Jaikiran
> On 25-May-2017, at 5:26 PM, Nicolas Lalevée <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> The entire Ant site is in svn:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/site
>
> There is a Readme.txt explaining a little bit stuff, but seems outdated
> since the migration to git. For Ivy and IvyDE, part of the site is built
> from the source for the projects. It used to be managed via svn:externals.
> Now there are ant tasks to run to the fetch of the sources. I have found an
> old discussion [1] we had about it which should help you.
>
> By the way, the Ivy documentation is managed by an hand crafted html
> editor, xooki, just is good but quite slow. I did some work some time ago
> (2 years ago, time flies!) to try to migrate to asciidoc [2]. I can even
> see that locally I have a commit which for some reason I didn’t pushed. If
> we are still interested, I can revive this.
>
> Nicolas
>
> [1] http://ant.1045680.n5.nabble.com/stuck-with-site-
> generation-issue-for-ivy-td5715758.html <http://ant.1045680.n5.nabble.
> com/stuck-with-site-generation-issue-for-ivy-td5715758.html>
> [2] https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/tree/xooki2asciidoc <
> https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/tree/xooki2asciidoc>
>

> > Le 25 mai 2017 à 06:12, J Pai <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> > What would be the process of having the live docs of Ivy project updated
> to fix/update an issue in the documentation[1]?
> >
> > The quickstart documentation refers to certain log files that get
> auto-generated during the doc build process. It looks like those log files
> weren’t uploaded and are resulting in a blank text area showing up. I can
> run the doc generation target locally (on 2.4.0 tag) and have someone
> upload those files and see if shows up fine.
> >
> > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-1542
> >
> > -Jaikiran

Re: Ivy website - fixing a Quickstart documentation live

J Pai
So I got this site generation working locally (had to fix a xooki script to make it work with Nashorn. The attached patch includes the fix).

At this point, I need help to commit the newly generated doc fixes to the SVN. I’ve attached a patch file for it and will explain what it is doing.

The changes/patch relates to _one_ of the more important issues noted in the JIRA https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-1542. That JIRA lists more than one issue with the latest docs. However, the missing .png and .css don’t directly contribute to anything noticeable, so I haven’t included it in this patch (and probably will look into it separately). The issue that this patch fixes is the more important one:

> Code examples are missing. About 2/3 of the way down the page are two code examples that are rendering as just a black rectangle for me. The underlying html looks like it has <pre> tags with no content.

The way these tutorial docs are generated, during the build, it triggers the build of quickstart examples and dumps the logs into files. The log files are then referred to via xooki references and the contents of those log files are inlined within the div tags. So I went ahead and built these tutorials on 2.4.0 tag of Ivy project, generated those logs and then regenerated the site with these logs in the relevant folder. The generated documentation now has these output inlined correctly in the quickstart and various other docs.

The attached patch was generated with https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/site/ as the root of the SVN checkout. So whoever is applying the patch will have to cd to that directory and then apply it. Let me know if you run into issues or if any changes are necessary in this patch.

As for the other two issues noted in that JIRA, I’m planning to remove references to the non-existent .css and .png files and submit that as a separate patch.

-Jaikiran

On 26-May-2017, at 10:39 AM, J Pai <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks everyone for the inputs.

I’m trying to get a proper build going locally for the site generation (and running into issues). Once I get a proper build and the fixes to the issues noted in that JIRA, I’ll send out an update. Hopefully soon.

-Jaikiran
On 25-May-2017, at 5:26 PM, Nicolas Lalevée <[hidden email]> wrote:

The entire Ant site is in svn:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/site

There is a Readme.txt explaining a little bit stuff, but seems outdated since the migration to git. For Ivy and IvyDE, part of the site is built from the source for the projects. It used to be managed via svn:externals. Now there are ant tasks to run to the fetch of the sources. I have found an old discussion [1] we had about it which should help you.

By the way, the Ivy documentation is managed by an hand crafted html editor, xooki, just is good but quite slow. I did some work some time ago (2 years ago, time flies!) to try to migrate to asciidoc [2]. I can even see that locally I have a commit which for some reason I didn’t pushed. If we are still interested, I can revive this.

Nicolas

[1] http://ant.1045680.n5.nabble.com/stuck-with-site-generation-issue-for-ivy-td5715758.html <http://ant.1045680.n5.nabble.com/stuck-with-site-generation-issue-for-ivy-td5715758.html>
[2] https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/tree/xooki2asciidoc <https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/tree/xooki2asciidoc>

> Le 25 mai 2017 à 06:12, J Pai <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> What would be the process of having the live docs of Ivy project updated to fix/update an issue in the documentation[1]?
>
> The quickstart documentation refers to certain log files that get auto-generated during the doc build process. It looks like those log files weren’t uploaded and are resulting in a blank text area showing up. I can run the doc generation target locally (on 2.4.0 tag) and have someone upload those files and see if shows up fine.
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-1542
>
> -Jaikiran

Re: Ivy website - fixing a Quickstart documentation live

Matt Sicker
Can't you run the original Ruby asciidoc parser via JRuby, too?

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Ivy website - fixing a Quickstart documentation live

Gintautas Grigelionis
Thanks for heads up: asciidoctorj
<https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctorj>, then :-) There are no Ant
tasks, but maybe a javascript wrapper would do?

> [...]
> > [2] https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/tree/xooki2asciidoc <
> > https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/tree/xooki2asciidoc>
> >

> > > Le 25 mai 2017 à 06:12, J Pai <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> > >
> > > What would be the process of having the live docs of Ivy project
> updated
> > to fix/update an issue in the documentation[1]?
> > >
> > > The quickstart documentation refers to certain log files that get
> > auto-generated during the doc build process. It looks like those log
> files
> > weren’t uploaded and are resulting in a blank text area showing up. I can
> > run the doc generation target locally (on 2.4.0 tag) and have someone
> > upload those files and see if shows up fine.
> > >
> > > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-1542
> > >
> > > -Jaikiran

> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Ivy website - fixing a Quickstart documentation live

There are some Ant task for asciidoctor, and it is used in the branch where there is the experiment about migrating from xooki to asciidoc:
https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/blob/xooki2asciidoc/build-release.xml#L168 <https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/blob/xooki2asciidoc/build-release.xml#L168>

And it is nice because we can plug things into asciidoctor, like the management of the toc, just like xooki is currently doing:
https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/blob/xooki2asciidoc/asciidoc/templates/helpers.rb <https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/blob/xooki2asciidoc/asciidoc/templates/helpers.rb>

Nicolas

> [...]
>>>
>>> Nicolas
>>>
>>> [1] http://ant.1045680.n5.nabble.com/stuck-with-site-
>>> generation-issue-for-ivy-td5715758.html <http://ant.1045680.n5.nabble.
>>> com/stuck-with-site-generation-issue-for-ivy-td5715758.html>
>>> [2] https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/tree/xooki2asciidoc <
>>> https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/tree/xooki2asciidoc>

>> updated
>>> to fix/update an issue in the documentation[1]?

>>> auto-generated during the doc build process. It looks like those log
>> files
>>> weren’t uploaded and are resulting in a blank text area showing up. I can
>>> run the doc generation target locally (on 2.4.0 tag) and have someone
>>> upload those files and see if shows up fine.

>> --
>> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Ivy website - fixing a Quickstart documentation live

Of course... here <https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor-ant> is the
Ant task. Love this commit
<https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctor-ant/commit/e9f97b94bdd8e2242f685f34736bd2a35be8a3b5>
- speaking about timing :-)

On 26-May-2017, at 12:36 PM, J Pai <[hidden email]> wrote:

So I got this site generation working locally (had to fix a xooki script to make it work with Nashorn. The attached patch includes the fix).

At this point, I need help to commit the newly generated doc fixes to the SVN. I’ve attached a patch file for it and will explain what it is doing.

The changes/patch relates to _one_ of the more important issues noted in the JIRA https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-1542. That JIRA lists more than one issue with the latest docs. However, the missing .png and .css don’t directly contribute to anything noticeable, so I haven’t included it in this patch (and probably will look into it separately). The issue that this patch fixes is the more important one:

> Code examples are missing. About 2/3 of the way down the page are two code examples that are rendering as just a black rectangle for me. The underlying html looks like it has <pre> tags with no content.

The way these tutorial docs are generated, during the build, it triggers the build of quickstart examples and dumps the logs into files. The log files are then referred to via xooki references and the contents of those log files are inlined within the div tags. So I went ahead and built these tutorials on 2.4.0 tag of Ivy project, generated those logs and then regenerated the site with these logs in the relevant folder. The generated documentation now has these output inlined correctly in the quickstart and various other docs.

The attached patch was generated with https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/site/ as the root of the SVN checkout. So whoever is applying the patch will have to cd to that directory and then apply it. Let me know if you run into issues or if any changes are necessary in this patch.

As for the other two issues noted in that JIRA, I’m planning to remove references to the non-existent .css and .png files and submit that as a separate patch.

-Jaikiran

<fix-latest-milestone-docs.patch>