Javac: Command-Line Argument Files

Pietro Paolini
Hi all,

I am a bit struggling with an build.xml file <javac> task, I haven't got too much experience with Ant but hopefully my question won't sound too silly. On a window machine I reach the
Command line limit size and the compiler task fails as "the extension or file name is too long".

I am wondering if  it could be possible to get advantage of

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/tools/windows/javac.html#BHCJEIBB

Is there a quick win on that ? I couldn't find much on Google :-(

Thanks,
Pietro

Pietro Paolini
Consultant

Alfa
________________________________
e: [hidden email] | w: alfasystems.com<https://www.alfasystems.com>
t: +44 (0) 20 7920-2643 | Moor Place, 1 Fore Street Avenue, London, EC2Y 9DT, GB
________________________________

The contents of this communication are not intended to be binding or constitute any form of offer or acceptance or give rise to any legal obligations on behalf of the sender or Alfa. The views or opinions expressed represent those of the author and not necessarily those of Alfa. This email and any attachments are strictly confidential and are intended solely for use by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the addressee (or responsible for delivery of the message to the addressee) you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of the message or its attachments. At present the integrity of email across the internet cannot be guaranteed and messages sent via this medium are potentially at risk. All liability is excluded to the extent permitted by law for any claims arising as a result of the use of this medium to transmit information by or to Alfa or its affiliates.

Alfa Financial Software Ltd
Reg. in England No: 0248 2325

Re: [E] Javac: Command-Line Argument Files

Urena, Jose M (Jose)
the following suggestion I have learned for working with Jenkins jobs which
can have very long paths for the workspace

1. if you have permission on your computer/server to create windows shares
and to run from shared drive,
then you could save most of the characters to the left of your path by
using PUSHD

if your current dir is c:\users\yourname\documents\ which is  28 characters
then pushd will reduce it to 3, saving you 25 characters

net share TEMPSHORTPATH=%CD% /grant:%USERNAME%,FULL
pushd \\%COMPUTERNAME%.%USERDNSDOMAIN%\TEMPSHORTPATH
::  call your ant script

ant

:: leave the temp drive, remove it from windows shares
popd
net share /delete TEMPSHORTPATH
:: confirm share was cleaned
net use
net share

2. if the issue is with commands under your c:\program files,  like
c:\program files\oracle\jdk180\bin\javac
you can try using MKLINK to remove spaces and shorten the path
 mkdir c:\dev
 cd c:\dev
 mklink /j jdk "c:\program files\oracle\jdk180"

now you can use c:\dev\jdk\bin\javac which is shorter than  c:\program
files\oracle\jdk180\bin\javac

3. if you can not use PUSHD, mklink can be used to shorten paths but it is
not as short as pushd
mkdir c:\dev
cd c:\dev
mklink /j doc "c:\users\yourname\documents\"

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 6:25 AM Pietro Paolini <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am a bit struggling with an build.xml file <javac> task, I haven't got
> too much experience with Ant but hopefully my question won't sound too
> silly. On a window machine I reach the
> Command line limit size and the compiler task fails as "the extension or
> file name is too long".
>
> I am wondering if  it could be possible to get advantage of
>

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.oracle.com_javase_8_docs_technotes_tools_windows_javac.html-23BHCJEIBB&d=DwIFAg&c=udBTRvFvXC5Dhqg7UHpJlPps3mZ3LRxpb6__0PomBTQ&r=8XYgcdEXHJW1PQ9xb6NrZ5vlBTrHBT7lhTNH6uwwINQ&m=LOtmbKv9Pf9JXdG7oo-wOJVmm0DBaI-biSoqKkmRB1Y&s=3d6wFJcoY-jzVaYoMjXRGQtLVB4MbjUD6j_Krv55Gp0&e=
>
> Is there a quick win on that ? I couldn't find much on Google :-(
>
> Thanks,
> Pietro
>

> Pietro Paolini
> Consultant
>
> Alfa
> ________________________________
> e: [hidden email] | w: alfasystems.com<
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.alfasystems.com&d=DwIFAg&c=udBTRvFvXC5Dhqg7UHpJlPps3mZ3LRxpb6__0PomBTQ&r=8XYgcdEXHJW1PQ9xb6NrZ5vlBTrHBT7lhTNH6uwwINQ&m=LOtmbKv9Pf9JXdG7oo-wOJVmm0DBaI-biSoqKkmRB1Y&s=bNk8SVZHcZac3KOa02xtQCXPIhrz3JfJRZfiaFUIVUk&e=
> >
> t: +44 (0) 20 7920-2643 | Moor Place, 1 Fore Street Avenue, London, EC2Y
> 9DT, GB
> ________________________________
>
> The contents of this communication are not intended to be binding or
> constitute any form of offer or acceptance or give rise to any legal
> obligations on behalf of the sender or Alfa. The views or opinions
> expressed represent those of the author and not necessarily those of Alfa.
> This email and any attachments are strictly confidential and are intended
> solely for use by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you
> are not the addressee (or responsible for delivery of the message to the
> addressee) you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of the
> message or its attachments. At present the integrity of email across the
> internet cannot be guaranteed and messages sent via this medium are
> potentially at risk. All liability is excluded to the extent permitted by
> law for any claims arising as a result of the use of this medium to
> transmit information by or to Alfa or its affiliates.
>
> Alfa Financial Software Ltd
> Reg. in England No: 0248 2325

AW: [E] Javac: Command-Line Argument Files

Jan Matèrne (jhm)
Could you post your buildfile snippet and the build output?

Jan

It is heavily intertwined with corporate stuff so I can't. it is a regular javac task whose class path is *huge* - the problem I reckon is that the command line parameters (which includes the
Classpath) do not fit into the window's command line limit.

       at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeSortedTargets(Project.java:1405)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1376)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.helper.DefaultExecutor.executeTargets(DefaultExecutor.java:41)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1260)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.startAnt(Main.java:236)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:287)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:113)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_144\bin\javac.exe" (in directory "xxxxx"): CreateProcess error=206, The filename or extension is too long
        at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:1048)
        at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Runtime.java:620)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.launcher.Java13CommandLauncher.exec(Java13CommandLauncher.java:58)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Execute.launch(Execute.java:426)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Execute.execute(Execute.java:440)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.compilers.DefaultCompilerAdapter.executeExternalCompile(DefaultCompilerAdapter.java:598)
        ... 101 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: CreateProcess error=206, The filename or extension is too long
        at java.lang.ProcessImpl.create(Native Method)
        at java.lang.ProcessImpl.<init>(ProcessImpl.java:386)
        at java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(ProcessImpl.java:137)
        at java.lang.Proc

RE: [DKIM:FAIL] Re: [E] Javac: Command-Line Argument Files

Pietro Paolini
Thanks for your answer.

I'd like to fix this problem once for all - mapping and using push would just buy me some time I reckon.

the issue for classpath too long can be fixed by a different strategy using
a manifest's class-path with an empty jar file

  <property name="path.jar" value=" ${basedir}/dist/path.jar" />

>   <target name="compile" depends="pathjar">
>
>     <javac debug="on"
>
>            deprecation="off"
>
>            optimize="off"
>
>            destdir="${dest.dir}"
>
>            srcdir="${src.dir}"
>
>            includeantruntime="false"
>
>            encoding="ISO-8859-1"
>
>            fork="true">
>>
> <compilerarg line="-Xlint:${JAVA_LINT} " />
>
>                         <classpath path="${path.jar}" />
>
>        </javac>
>
> </target>
>

> <target name="pathjar">
>
>                 <delete file="${path.jar}" failonerror="false" />
>>
> <mkdir dir="${basedir}/dist" />
>
> <manifestclasspath jarfile="${path.jar}"
>
>                        property="pathjar.classpath"
>
>                        maxparentlevels="40" >
>
>                    <classpath refid="compile.classpath"/>
>
>                </manifestclasspath>
>
> <echo message="Class-Path: ${pathjar.classpath}" level="debug" />
>

>> <jar destfile="${path.jar}">
>
> <manifest>
>
> <attribute name="Implementation-Title" value="${ant.project.name}" />
>
>                                 <attribute name="Class-Path"
>> value="${pathjar.classpath}"/>
>>
> </manifest>
>
> </jar>
>
> </target>

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 3:28 AM Pietro Paolini <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is heavily intertwined with corporate stuff so I can't. it is a regular
> javac task whose class path is *huge* - the problem I reckon is that the
> command line parameters (which includes the
> Classpath) do not fit into the window's command line limit.
>

>        at
> org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeSortedTargets(Project.java:1405)
>         at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1376)
>         at
> org.apache.tools.ant.helper.DefaultExecutor.executeTargets(DefaultExecutor.java:41)
>         at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1260)
>         at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Main.java:857)
>         at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.startAnt(Main.java:236)
>         at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:287)
>         at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:113)
> Caused by: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "C:\Program
> Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_144\bin\javac.exe" (in directory "xxxxx"):
> CreateProcess error=206, The filename or extension is too long
>         at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:1048)
>         at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Runtime.java:620)
>         at
> org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.launcher.Java13CommandLauncher.exec(Java13CommandLauncher.java:58)
>         at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Execute.launch(Execute.java:426)
>         at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Execute.execute(Execute.java:440)
>         at
> org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.compilers.DefaultCompilerAdapter.executeExternalCompile(DefaultCompilerAdapter.java:598)
>         ... 101 more
> Caused by: java.io.IOException: CreateProcess error=206, The filename or
> extension is too long
>         at java.lang.ProcessImpl.create(Native Method)
>         at java.lang.ProcessImpl.<init>(ProcessImpl.java:386)
>         at java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(ProcessImpl.java:137)
>         at java.lang.Proc

Thanks, I think that is the way to go. I can get it to work though as the compiler does not find the needed classes. I checked the generated jar it looks correct. The paths are all
Relative, is that OK ?

Compilation fails because it can't resolve many classes, follow a snipped of my build.xml.

<delete file="="${basedir}/out.jar" failonerror="false" />
                  <local name="mine-classpath" />
                  <manifestclasspath property="mine-classpath" jarfile="${basedir}" >
                    <classpath refid="@{classpathref}"/>
                  </manifestclasspath>
                  <jar destfile="${basedir}/out.jar">
                    <manifest>
                      <attribute name="Implementation-Title" value="${ant.project.name}" />
                      <attribute name="Class-Path" value="${mine-classpath}"/>
                    </manifest>
                  </jar>
        [..]
                    <javac srcdir="@{src}"
                           encoding="UTF-8"
                           source="@{sourceVersion}"
                           target="@{destinationVersion}"
                           debug="@{debug}"
                           verbose="@{verbose}"
                           debuglevel="@{debuglevel}"
                           fork="@{fork}"
                           memoryinitialsize="@{minHeap}"
                           memorymaximumsize="@{maxHeap}">
                        <exclude name="**/package-info.java"/>
                        <compilerarg value="-proc:only"/>
                        <compilerarg value="-processor"/>
                        <compilerarg value="com.querydsl.apt.hibernate.HibernateAnnotationProcessor"/>
                        <compilerarg value="-s"/>
                        <compilerarg value="@{gen}"/>

                <classpath path="${basedir}/out.jar" />
                    </javac>

manifestclasspath  has a  maxParentLevels  attribute to limit the relative
path transformations, deafults to 2
https://ant.apache.org/manual/Tasks/manifestclasspath.html

set it to maxparentlevels="10" or something reasonable to create relative
classpaths which are farther than 2 levels away from ${basedir}

../
../../
../../../
../../../../

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 10:57 AM Pietro Paolini <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks, I think that is the way to go. I can get it to work though as the
> compiler does not find the needed classes. I checked the generated jar it
> looks correct. The paths are all
> Relative, is that OK ?
>
> Compilation fails because it can't resolve many classes, follow a snipped
> of my build.xml.
>
> <delete file="="${basedir}/out.jar" failonerror="false" />
>                   <local name="mine-classpath" />
>                   <manifestclasspath property="mine-classpath"
> jarfile="${basedir}" >
>                     <classpath refid="@{classpathref}"/>
>                   </manifestclasspath>
>                   <jar destfile="${basedir}/out.jar">
>                     <manifest>
>                       <attribute name="Implementation-Title" value="${
> ant.project.name}" />
>                       <attribute name="Class-Path"
> value="${mine-classpath}"/>
>                     </manifest>
>                   </jar>
>         [..]
>                     <javac srcdir="@{src}"
>                            encoding="UTF-8"
>                            source="@{sourceVersion}"
>                            target="@{destinationVersion}"
>                            debug="@{debug}"
>                            verbose="@{verbose}"
>                            debuglevel="@{debuglevel}"
>                            fork="@{fork}"
>                            memoryinitialsize="@{minHeap}"
>                            memorymaximumsize="@{maxHeap}">
>                         <exclude name="**/package-info.java"/>
>                         <compilerarg value="-proc:only"/>
>                         <compilerarg value="-processor"/>
>                         <compilerarg
> value="com.querydsl.apt.hibernate.HibernateAnnotationProcessor"/>
>                         <compilerarg value="-s"/>
>                         <compilerarg value="@{gen}"/>
>
>                 <classpath path="${basedir}/out.jar" />
>                     </javac>

RE: [DKIM:FAIL] Re: [DKIM:FAIL] Re: [E] Javac: Command-Line Argument Files

Pietro Paolini
Thanks a lot. This fixes the problem :-)