PR-41: use of fonts

Jan Matèrne (jhm)
    https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/pull/41

    I found a comment in hibgraph.svg: "Helvetica is a registered trademark
of Linotype AG".
    I am not sure about using that in an Apache project ...
    I'll forward this to the dev llist. Maybe to [hidden email] later ...

Does someone know if we are allowed to use helvetica font?

Re: PR-41: use of fonts

Gintautas Grigelionis
This is produced by yEd and refers to the fact that it wants Helvetica to
be used there.
However, there are no font outlines included and the renderer is free to
substitute the font if it's not available.
I can remove the comments if they're confusing. BTW Linotype AG was
purchased by Monotype Imaging Inc in 2006,
so the attribution is inaccurate. AFAIK Monotype owns the typeface and
Adobe owns the font (program code)
which is what we should worry about should we include the outlines in SVG.

>     https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/pull/41
>
>     I found a comment in hibgraph.svg: "Helvetica is a registered trademark
> of Linotype AG".
>     I am not sure about using that in an Apache project ...
>     I'll forward this to the dev llist. Maybe to [hidden email] later ...
>
> Does someone know if we are allowed to use helvetica font?
>
> Jan

Re: PR-41: use of fonts

Gintautas Grigelionis
This is Adobe FAQ:
http://www.adobe.com/products/type/font-licensing/licensing-faq.html

Q. Can I use Adobe fonts for commercial projects and client work?

A: Yes, Adobe's standard font licensing agreement (EULA)
<http://www.adobe.com/products/type/font-licensing/end-user-licensing-agreements.html>
allows
for both personal and commercial use, sales, and distribution of designs
and documents which are created using the font software. This may include
printed materials, logos, and rendered content like photographs, film,
video and bitmap graphics.

If distributed, the design should not contain the original font, but can be
converted to vector outlines, rasterized, or subsetted and embedded in an
electronic document like a PDF or eBook.

I guess we're in compliance or do we need additional legal advice?