Replace emma with jacoco?

Gintautas Grigelionis
As you could understand by now, I set a goal of getting all targets in
build.xml to do what they are supposed to do. Which brings us to emma,
which appears no longer being developed. Do we need a vote about a
replacement?

Re: Replace emma with jacoco?

mgainty
Hi Gintautas

clover code-coverage has been around for 15 years..atlassian just contributed clover to Open Source this year

https://www.atlassian.com/blog/announcements/atlassian-clover-open-source

Atlassian Clover is now open source - Atlassian Blog<https://www.atlassian.com/blog/announcements/atlassian-clover-open-source>
www.atlassian.com
All of this has lead to our decision to open source Clover, what we believe is the best way to give Clover the focus and attention it deserves.

Atlassian published an ant taskdef here

https://confluence.atlassian.com/clover/6-ant-task-reference-71600066.html

6. Ant Task Reference - Atlassian Documentation<https://confluence.atlassian.com/clover/6-ant-task-reference-71600066.html>
confluence.atlassian.com
Can I create a Clover Report on Server A if I have the clover.db which I generated on Server B? Does Clover depend on JUnit? Does Clover integrate with Maven?

emma hasnt been touched in 12 years so it seems to be retired?

http://emma.sourceforge.net/

EMMA: a free Java code coverage tool<http://emma.sourceforge.net/>
emma.sourceforge.net
EMMA can instrument classes for coverage either offline (before they are loaded) or on the fly (using an instrumenting application classloader).

Emmas feature requests number 103 which nobody has addressed

https://sourceforge.net/p/emma/feature-requests/

EMMA code coverage / Feature Requests - sourceforge.net<https://sourceforge.net/p/emma/feature-requests/>
sourceforge.net
I agree to receive quotes, newsletters and other information from sourceforge.net and its partners regarding IT services and products. I understand that I can ...

WDYT of Clover?

Martin

________________________________

AW: Replace emma with jacoco?

Jan Matèrne (jhm)
The task is having a code coverage.
The chosen tool should:
- do that ;)
- be free for OSS
- maintained
- useable by the project community (we have to use that ;)
- runnable in a CI environment

If a chosen tool (EMMA) does its job, you dont have to change this until
you'll get problems not to solve with that.
Then start an 'evaluation' ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Code_Coverage_Tools lists some tools.
EclEmma uses JaCoCo (as a replacement for EMMA). I think that some
developers are using that so using JaCoCo would be a fit to their toolset.

Jan

Re: Replace emma with jacoco?

Talk about timing, again :-) -- Clover has been open source since April.
BTW, the documentation has moved to https://atlassian-docs.bitbucket.io/,
so confluence.atlassian.com links do not work any more.

I can try adding both Jacoco and Clover and make instrumentation selectable
through a property.
I am inclined to start with Jacoco due to personal experience and keep it a
default choice.

The bigger change would be that "ant test" would run both instrumentation
and unit tests, and likewise "ant test-report" would produce both reports.

> Hi Gintautas
>

> clover code-coverage has been around for 15 years..atlassian just
> contributed clover to Open Source this year
>
> https://www.atlassian.com/blog/announcements/atlassian-clover-open-source
>
> Atlassian Clover is now open source - Atlassian Blog<
> https://www.atlassian.com/blog/announcements/atlassian-clover-open-source>
> www.atlassian.com
> All of this has lead to our decision to open source Clover, what we
> believe is the best way to give Clover the focus and attention it deserves.
>
> Atlassian published an ant taskdef here
>
> https://confluence.atlassian.com/clover/6-ant-task-reference-71600066.html
>
> 6. Ant Task Reference - Atlassian Documentation<https://
> confluence.atlassian.com/clover/6-ant-task-reference-71600066.html>
> confluence.atlassian.com
> Can I create a Clover Report on Server A if I have the clover.db which I
> generated on Server B? Does Clover depend on JUnit? Does Clover integrate
> with Maven?
>
> emma hasnt been touched in 12 years so it seems to be retired?
>
> http://emma.sourceforge.net/
>
> EMMA: a free Java code coverage tool<http://emma.sourceforge.net/>
> emma.sourceforge.net
> EMMA can instrument classes for coverage either offline (before they are
> loaded) or on the fly (using an instrumenting application classloader).
>
> Emmas feature requests number 103 which nobody has addressed
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/emma/feature-requests/
>
> EMMA code coverage / Feature Requests - sourceforge.net<https://
> sourceforge.net/p/emma/feature-requests/>
> sourceforge.net
> I agree to receive quotes, newsletters and other information from
> sourceforge.net and its partners regarding IT services and products. I
> understand that I can ...
>

> WDYT of Clover?
>
> Martin
>

> ________________________________

Re: Replace emma with jacoco?

mgainty

________________________________
Talk about timing, again :-) -- Clover has been open source since April.
BTW, the documentation has moved to https://atlassian-docs.bitbucket.io/,
Atlassian documentation<https://atlassian-docs.bitbucket.io/>
atlassian-docs.bitbucket.io
The documentation in this repository is for products that are no longer supported by Atlassian. This documentation is not maintained by Atlassian, but is open source ...

so confluence.atlassian.com links do not work any more.

I can try adding both Jacoco and Clover and make instrumentation selectable
through a property.
I am inclined to start with Jacoco due to personal experience and keep it a
default choice.

The bigger change would be that "ant test" would run both instrumentation
and unit tests, and likewise "ant test-report" would produce both reports.
MG>an excellent idea..my personal request is which code-coverage tool detects orphaned class ?
MG>a second request is which code coverage detects orphaned inner-classes?
MG>i look forward to receiving your analysis

> Hi Gintautas
>

> clover code-coverage has been around for 15 years..atlassian just
> contributed clover to Open Source this year
>
> https://www.atlassian.com/blog/announcements/atlassian-clover-open-source
Atlassian Clover is now open source - Atlassian Blog<https://www.atlassian.com/blog/announcements/atlassian-clover-open-source>
www.atlassian.com
All of this has lead to our decision to open source Clover, what we believe is the best way to give Clover the focus and attention it deserves.

> Atlassian Clover is now open source - Atlassian Blog<
> https://www.atlassian.com/blog/announcements/atlassian-clover-open-source>
Atlassian Clover is now open source - Atlassian Blog<https://www.atlassian.com/blog/announcements/atlassian-clover-open-source>
www.atlassian.com
All of this has lead to our decision to open source Clover, what we believe is the best way to give Clover the focus and attention it deserves.

> www.atlassian.com<http://www.atlassian.com>
[https://wac-cdn-a.atlassian.com/dam/jcr:c20cf6d1-9568-4aba-9a16-dba24e1495de/atlassian-software.png]<http://www.atlassian.com/>

Atlassian | Software Development and Collaboration Tools<http://www.atlassian.com/>
www.atlassian.com
Millions of users globally rely on Atlassian products every day for improving software development, project management, collaboration, and code quality.

> All of this has lead to our decision to open source Clover, what we
> believe is the best way to give Clover the focus and attention it deserves.
>
> Atlassian published an ant taskdef here
>
> https://confluence.atlassian.com/clover/6-ant-task-reference-71600066.html
6. Ant Task Reference - Atlassian Documentation<https://confluence.atlassian.com/clover/6-ant-task-reference-71600066.html>
confluence.atlassian.com
Can I create a Clover Report on Server A if I have the clover.db which I generated on Server B? Does Clover depend on JUnit? Does Clover integrate with Maven?

> 6. Ant Task Reference - Atlassian Documentation<https://
> confluence.atlassian.com/clover/6-ant-task-reference-71600066.html>
> confluence.atlassian.com
> Can I create a Clover Report on Server A if I have the clover.db which I
> generated on Server B? Does Clover depend on JUnit? Does Clover integrate
> with Maven?
>
> emma hasnt been touched in 12 years so it seems to be retired?
>
> http://emma.sourceforge.net/
EMMA: a free Java code coverage tool<http://emma.sourceforge.net/>
emma.sourceforge.net
EMMA can instrument classes for coverage either offline (before they are loaded) or on the fly (using an instrumenting application classloader).

> EMMA: a free Java code coverage tool<http://emma.sourceforge.net/>
EMMA: a free Java code coverage tool<http://emma.sourceforge.net/>
emma.sourceforge.net
EMMA can instrument classes for coverage either offline (before they are loaded) or on the fly (using an instrumenting application classloader).

> emma.sourceforge.net
> EMMA can instrument classes for coverage either offline (before they are
> loaded) or on the fly (using an instrumenting application classloader).
>
> Emmas feature requests number 103 which nobody has addressed
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/emma/feature-requests/
EMMA code coverage / Feature Requests - sourceforge.net<https://sourceforge.net/p/emma/feature-requests/>
sourceforge.net
I agree to receive quotes, newsletters and other information from sourceforge.net and its partners regarding IT services and products. I understand that I can ...

> EMMA code coverage / Feature Requests - sourceforge.net<https://
> sourceforge.net/p/emma/feature-requests/>
> sourceforge.net
> I agree to receive quotes, newsletters and other information from
> sourceforge.net and its partners regarding IT services and products. I
> understand that I can ...
>

> WDYT of Clover?
>
> Martin
>

> ________________________________

Re: Replace emma with jacoco?

Matt Sicker
I've used pitest <http://pitest.org/> before which is a bit more useful
than typical code coverage plugins.

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Replace emma with jacoco?

Nicolas Lalevée
FYI, here are the post build actions available on the Jenkins at the ASF:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zwpersrv4ydzdp5/Capture%20d%27%C3%A9cran%202017-05-29%2017.36.49.png?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/zwpersrv4ydzdp5/Capture%20d'%C3%A9cran%202017-05-29%2017.36.49.png?dl=0>

It would be nice if the tool we choose is integrated in our CI.

Nicolas

> Le 29 mai 2017 à 17:29, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> I've used pitest <http://pitest.org/> before which is a bit more useful
> than typical code coverage plugins.
>
> On 29 May 2017 at 08:55, Martin Gainty <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> ________________________________

Re: Replace emma with jacoco?

There's definitely space for improvement, but currently I'm content with an
equivalent of what no longer works, in this case, a code coverage tool.

> I've used pitest <http://pitest.org/> before which is a bit more useful
> than typical code coverage plugins.
>
> On 29 May 2017 at 08:55, Martin Gainty <[hidden email]> wrote:

Re: Replace emma with jacoco?

Both Jacoco and Clover fit that bill. Are you comfortable with eventul
change in test and test-report targets?