[VOTE] Release 2.3.0-rc1 of Apache IvyDE

[VOTE] Release 2.3.0-rc1 of Apache IvyDE

Jaikiran Pai
I'm initiating a newer vote mail for 2.3.0-rc1 release of Apache IvyDE
project. This addresses the blocker issue that Nicolas identified, the
last time a vote was initiated for this version.

The newly updated tag is here
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=ant-ivyde.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/2.3.0-rc1
with sha1 3581a61ec159ede16005f36e58e5e258d32090fa

You can download the distribution from this URL:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/ant/ivyde/2.3.0-rc1/ at rev 27709

The Eclipse p2 repository is here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/ant/ivyde/updatesite/ivyde-2.3.0.rc1-201806251008-RELEASE/
at rev 27707

The 2.3.0-rc1 release of IvyDE consists of the following changes:

* FIX: xml bomb in workspace causes hang in Ivy code during Search or
Synchronize operations (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-354)
* FIX: Deadlock in classpath container
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-361)
* FIX: Typo in IvyResolveJob
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-362)
* FIX: User-selected configurations not checked in the viewer
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-378)
* FIX: Fix ClassCastException
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-386)
* FIX: Fix the issue where the IvyDE preferences couldn't be saved
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-388)

* NEW: Support for OSGi 'Bundle-Classpath' directive
* NEW: Basic support for the workspace resolver to find OSGi bundles
managed by Ivy in the workspace
* NEW: Support for storing credentials securely

Do you vote for the release of these binaries?

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.3.0-rc1 of Apache IvyDE

Stefan Bodewig
On 2018-06-25, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

> I'm initiating a newer vote mail for 2.3.0-rc1 release of Apache IvyDE
> project. This addresses the blocker issue that Nicolas identified, the
> last time a vote was initiated for this version.

As usual I've only checked the source archive matches the tag, all sigs
and hashes are good and the legal stuff is fine.

+1

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.3.0-rc1 of Apache IvyDE

+1

Gintas

P.S. Disappearing Ivy container seems to be default Eclipse behaviour in
Oxygen where the filtering of
empty library containers is on in Package Explorer. The filter was first
introduced in Neon

[1]
https://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/news/4.6/M7/#hide-empty-library-containers-project-explorer

On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 at 07:53, Jaikiran Pai <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm initiating a newer vote mail for 2.3.0-rc1 release of Apache IvyDE
> project. This addresses the blocker issue that Nicolas identified, the
> last time a vote was initiated for this version.
>
> The newly updated tag is here
>
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=ant-ivyde.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/2.3.0-rc1
> with sha1 3581a61ec159ede16005f36e58e5e258d32090fa
>
> You can download the distribution from this URL:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/ant/ivyde/2.3.0-rc1/ at rev 27709
>
> The Eclipse p2 repository is here:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/ant/ivyde/updatesite/ivyde-2.3.0.rc1-201806251008-RELEASE/
> at rev 27707
>
> The 2.3.0-rc1 release of IvyDE consists of the following changes:
>
> * FIX: xml bomb in workspace causes hang in Ivy code during Search or
> Synchronize operations (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-354)
> * FIX: Deadlock in classpath container
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-361)
> * FIX: Typo in IvyResolveJob
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-362)
> * FIX: User-selected configurations not checked in the viewer
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-378)
> * FIX: Fix ClassCastException
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-386)
> * FIX: Fix the issue where the IvyDE preferences couldn't be saved
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-388)
>
> * NEW: Support for OSGi 'Bundle-Classpath' directive
> * NEW: Basic support for the workspace resolver to find OSGi bundles
> managed by Ivy in the workspace
> * NEW: Support for storing credentials securely
>

> Do you vote for the release of these binaries?
>
> -Jaikiran

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.3.0-rc1 of Apache IvyDE

Nicolas Lalevée
Everything looks good apart from the bug Ross reported which I have been able to reproduce. And it seems pretty consistent, not very random. And I see no error in Eclipse’s log.

I have been able to reproduce it with the Eclipse version:
Version: Neon.3 Release (4.6.3)
Build id: 20170314-1500

I am also using java 10, which is a bit tricky to make it run smoothly due to the modules thing. Maybe it is related.

And the project I tried to build in Eclipse is the Ivy project, which is about just an ivy.xml and a version.properties.

I know that the IvyDE code which is triggering the update of the classpath is tricky, it is quite sensible, partly due to the non trivial Eclipse APIs. Maybe with the last « cleanup » the resolve process has been messed up, and somehow it still work in the refresh case.

Since there is a work around (hitting refresh after resolve) and it is an RC, we could ship it like that and fix it later. But due to the automatic update via the update site, I bet most users will update even if it is an RC.
So I am not sure what I should vote.

So I vote -0 for me for now.

Nicolas

> Le 25 juin 2018 à 07:52, Jaikiran Pai <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> I'm initiating a newer vote mail for 2.3.0-rc1 release of Apache IvyDE project. This addresses the blocker issue that Nicolas identified, the last time a vote was initiated for this version.
>
> The newly updated tag is here https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=ant-ivyde.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/2.3.0-rc1 with sha1 3581a61ec159ede16005f36e58e5e258d32090fa
>
> You can download the distribution from this URL: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/ant/ivyde/2.3.0-rc1/ at rev 27709
>
> The Eclipse p2 repository is here: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/ant/ivyde/updatesite/ivyde-2.3.0.rc1-201806251008-RELEASE/ at rev 27707
>
> The 2.3.0-rc1 release of IvyDE consists of the following changes:
>
> * FIX: xml bomb in workspace causes hang in Ivy code during Search or Synchronize operations (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-354)
> * FIX: Deadlock in classpath container (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-361)
> * FIX: Typo in IvyResolveJob (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-362)
> * FIX: User-selected configurations not checked in the viewer (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-378)
> * FIX: Fix ClassCastException (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-386)
> * FIX: Fix the issue where the IvyDE preferences couldn't be saved (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-388)
>
> * NEW: Support for OSGi 'Bundle-Classpath' directive
> * NEW: Basic support for the workspace resolver to find OSGi bundles managed by Ivy in the workspace
> * NEW: Support for storing credentials securely
>

> Do you vote for the release of these binaries?
>
> -Jaikiran

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.3.0-rc1 of Apache IvyDE

Gintautas Grigelionis
Who's Ross? :-S

For me, "reload" is resulting in an empty container, and the contents are
updated by subsequent "refresh".
Codewise, "reload" does

container.reloadSettings()

which is the same as

state.setIvySettingsLastModified(-1);
launchResolve(false, null);

(and the last line is the same as "resolve") vs

container.launchResolve(true, null);

I don't think that code was modified a lot; AFAICS, there are two changes
made in code of IvyClasspathContainerImpl:
first, generics in Comparator in setClassPath() entries; then, path was
made final.
Before that, there's a javadoc fix and a fix for IVYDE-361.

If there's something suspicious, then it's path being final.

Gintas

On 27/06/18 10:12 PM, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:
> Since there is a work around (hitting refresh after resolve) and it is
> an RC, we could ship it like that and fix it later. But due to the
> automatic update via the update site, I bet most users will update
> even if it is an RC. So I am not sure what I should vote. So I vote -0
> for me for now.
I was reserving my vote just for this reason. I don't use Eclipse so I
wanted to see if someone more familiar with it has an opinion about this
bug. You are right that it's going to end up affecting everyone once we
release this. Given that the purpose of this release is revive this
project a bit and not break setups where things are working fine and the
fact that this will end up being an annoying kind of workaround (having
to hit refresh after resolve), I don't see rushing this release without
fixing this issue serves any purpose.

So I'll vote a -1 on this now. I know we have gone through 3 voting
rounds for this release, so thank you everyone for being patient and
testing out the binaries. I'll file this issue in JIRA and hopefully
spend some time in Eclipse this weekend to try and sort this out.

[CANCELLED]Re: [VOTE] Release 2.3.0-rc1 of Apache IvyDE

Jaikiran Pai
This vote is now officially cancelledfor the reasons noted below.

-Jaikiran

On 28/06/18 12:11 PM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

> On 27/06/18 10:12 PM, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:
>> Since there is a work around (hitting refresh after resolve) and it
>> is an RC, we could ship it like that and fix it later. But due to the
>> automatic update via the update site, I bet most users will update
>> even if it is an RC. So I am not sure what I should vote. So I vote
>> -0 for me for now.
> I was reserving my vote just for this reason. I don't use Eclipse so I
> wanted to see if someone more familiar with it has an opinion about
> this bug. You are right that it's going to end up affecting everyone
> once we release this. Given that the purpose of this release is revive
> this project a bit and not break setups where things are working fine
> and the fact that this will end up being an annoying kind of
> workaround (having to hit refresh after resolve), I don't see rushing
> this release without fixing this issue serves any purpose.
>
> So I'll vote a -1 on this now. I know we have gone through 3 voting
> rounds for this release, so thank you everyone for being patient and
> testing out the binaries. I'll file this issue in JIRA and hopefully
> spend some time in Eclipse this weekend to try and sort this out.
>
> -Jaikiran

Testing IvyDE

Nicolas Lalevée
Le 28 juin 2018 à 08:41, Jaikiran Pai <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> On 27/06/18 10:12 PM, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:
>> Since there is a work around (hitting refresh after resolve) and it is an RC, we could ship it like that and fix it later. But due to the automatic update via the update site, I bet most users will update even if it is an RC. So I am not sure what I should vote. So I vote -0 for me for now.
> I was reserving my vote just for this reason. I don't use Eclipse so I wanted to see if someone more familiar with it has an opinion about this bug. You are right that it's going to end up affecting everyone once we release this. Given that the purpose of this release is revive this project a bit and not break setups where things are working fine and the fact that this will end up being an annoying kind of workaround (having to hit refresh after resolve), I don't see rushing this release without fixing this issue serves any purpose.
>
> So I'll vote a -1 on this now. I know we have gone through 3 voting rounds for this release, so thank you everyone for being patient and testing out the binaries. I'll file this issue in JIRA and hopefully spend some time in Eclipse this weekend to try and sort this out.

I have found the issue and pushed a fix.

I am then worried that the master is not well tested nor used after the big cleanups. Two big bugs were raised during the release process.

So I suggest we do a little testing now of the master.

To help with that, there is a folder in the IvyDE project which contains projects ready to be imported into Eclipse, they are samples of many different configurations which should be supported:
https://github.com/apache/ant-ivyde/tree/master/test <https://github.com/apache/ant-ivyde/tree/master/test>
And the last build can be installed from an update site built there:
https://builds.apache.org/view/A/view/Ant/job/IvyDE-updatesite/ <https://builds.apache.org/view/A/view/Ant/job/IvyDE-updatesite/>

Nicolas

Re: Testing IvyDE

Gintautas Grigelionis
On Sun, 1 Jul 2018 at 15:05, Nicolas Lalevée <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I have found the issue and pushed a fix.
>
> I am then worried that the master is not well tested nor used after the
> big cleanups. Two big bugs were raised during the release process.
>
> So I suggest we do a little testing now of the master.
>
> To help with that, there is a folder in the IvyDE project which contains
> projects ready to be imported into Eclipse, they are samples of many
> different configurations which should be supported:
> https://github.com/apache/ant-ivyde/tree/master/test <
> https://github.com/apache/ant-ivyde/tree/master/test>
> And the last build can be installed from an update site built there:
> https://builds.apache.org/view/A/view/Ant/job/IvyDE-updatesite/ <
> https://builds.apache.org/view/A/view/Ant/job/IvyDE-updatesite/>
>
> Nicolas

The nightly build is still pending...

Re: Testing IvyDE

Gintautas Grigelionis
It looks like Ant nightly is stuck (possibly due to plugin update in
Jenkins) and it's blocking all other builds.

AW: Testing IvyDE

Jan Matèrne (jhm)
> It looks like Ant nightly is stuck (possibly due to plugin update in
> Jenkins) and it's blocking all other builds.
>
> Gintas

I can't do it myself so I'll ask for killing the job.

Re: Testing IvyDE

Gintautas Grigelionis
On Sun, 1 Jul 2018 at 21:30, Jan Matèrne (jhm) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > It looks like Ant nightly is stuck (possibly due to plugin update in
> > Jenkins) and it's blocking all other builds.
> >
> > Gintas
>
> I can't do it myself so I'll ask for killing the job.
>
> Jan

Ant nightly aborted, now IvyDE is stuck near artifact archiving...
Besides, IvyDE build could not find WTP 3.4.2, and the archive page at
http://archive.eclipse.org/webtools/downloads/
seems to be broken. Strangely, the patch drop
http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/patches/drops/R3.4.2/P-3.4.2-20130826221819/
is available...

AW: Testing IvyDE

Due the update the permission for cancelling a job is gone.
https://jenkins.io/changelog-stable/
Notable changes since 2.107.3:
* It is no longer possible to rename jobs from their configuration page. Jobs now have a link in the side panel titled "Rename" that links to a page specifically dedicated to renaming jobs.
* The Job/Build permission no longer implies the Job/Cancel permission. The latter needs to be granted explicitly to users who previously got it via this relationship.

I'll check how we get that permission back (global grant by admin, posting a list via mail, jira...)

Jan

Re: Testing IvyDE

On 01/07/18 6:35 PM, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:
> Le 28 juin 2018 à 08:41, Jaikiran Pai <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> On 27/06/18 10:12 PM, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:
>>> Since there is a work around (hitting refresh after resolve) and it is an RC, we could ship it like that and fix it later. But due to the automatic update via the update site, I bet most users will update even if it is an RC. So I am not sure what I should vote. So I vote -0 for me for now.
>> I was reserving my vote just for this reason. I don't use Eclipse so I wanted to see if someone more familiar with it has an opinion about this bug. You are right that it's going to end up affecting everyone once we release this. Given that the purpose of this release is revive this project a bit and not break setups where things are working fine and the fact that this will end up being an annoying kind of workaround (having to hit refresh after resolve), I don't see rushing this release without fixing this issue serves any purpose.
>>
>> So I'll vote a -1 on this now. I know we have gone through 3 voting rounds for this release, so thank you everyone for being patient and testing out the binaries. I'll file this issue in JIRA and hopefully spend some time in Eclipse this weekend to try and sort this out.
> I have found the issue and pushed a fix.
Thank you.

> I am then worried that the master is not well tested nor used after the big cleanups.
Yes, I agree.

> So I suggest we do a little testing now of the master.
>
> To help with that, there is a folder in the IvyDE project which contains projects ready to be imported into Eclipse, they are samples of many different configurations which should be supported
I'll test some of these out during the week.

Re: Testing IvyDE

Nicolas Lalevée
I have fixed the build, now relying on more recent dependencies. The updatesite built by Jenkins is now up to date.

I have started to do some test, but there are some crashes, the jvm of Eclipse is crashing on clearing the Ivy console for instance. I bet this is more due to the fact that I am running with Java 10. I’ll try to run it with a lower Java version and redo the tests.

Nicolas