Versioning scheme in Ivy

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Versioning scheme in Ivy

Gintautas Grigelionis
I was thinking about the discussion which touched upon restricted
characters in version strings. While Ivy does not place any restrictions on
those strings, Ivy does support versions ranges as specified by OSGi. So,
what happens if version range is used as a version string?

Gintas
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Versioning scheme in Ivy

Gintautas Grigelionis
Sorry, I meant to ask what may happen if special characters from range
specification are used randomly in a version string?

Gintas

2017-05-24 10:15 GMT+02:00 Gintautas Grigelionis <[hidden email]>:

> I was thinking about the discussion which touched upon restricted
> characters in version strings. While Ivy does not place any restrictions on
> those strings, Ivy does support versions ranges as specified by OSGi. So,
> what happens if version range is used as a version string?
>
> Gintas
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Versioning scheme in Ivy

Nicolas Lalevée
Almost everything in Ivy is configurable, like the version matchers [1].

Ivy provide some sane default, but if some has a weird use case, he will be able to tweak thing to make it work.

Nicolas

[1] https://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/settings/version-matchers.html <https://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/settings/version-matchers.html>


> Le 24 mai 2017 à 10:22, Gintautas Grigelionis <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Sorry, I meant to ask what may happen if special characters from range
> specification are used randomly in a version string?
>
> Gintas
>
> 2017-05-24 10:15 GMT+02:00 Gintautas Grigelionis <[hidden email]>:
>
>> I was thinking about the discussion which touched upon restricted
>> characters in version strings. While Ivy does not place any restrictions on
>> those strings, Ivy does support versions ranges as specified by OSGi. So,
>> what happens if version range is used as a version string?
>>
>> Gintas
>>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Versioning scheme in Ivy

Gintautas Grigelionis
Sorry for a roundabout way of getting to the point, but wouldn't the
characters used in matchers be treated in a special way, thus restricting
their use in version strings?

On a related theme, should Ivy support semver ranges [1]? (that would
include >, <, >=, <=, =, ||, &, !, and shorthands [2] *, ^, ~, " - ") There
seems to be at least one Java implementation [3], but it might be too
opinionated about version strings :-)

[1] https://github.com/npm/node-semver
[2] https://nodesource.com/blog/semver-tilde-and-caret
[3] https://github.com/zafarkhaja/jsemver

2017-05-25 12:16 GMT+02:00 Nicolas Lalevée <[hidden email]>:

> Almost everything in Ivy is configurable, like the version matchers [1].
>
> Ivy provide some sane default, but if some has a weird use case, he will
> be able to tweak thing to make it work.
>
> Nicolas
>
> [1] https://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/
> settings/version-matchers.html <https://ant.apache.org/ivy/
> history/latest-milestone/settings/version-matchers.html>
>
>
> > Le 24 mai 2017 à 10:22, Gintautas Grigelionis <[hidden email]>
> a écrit :
> >
> > Sorry, I meant to ask what may happen if special characters from range
> > specification are used randomly in a version string?
> >
> > Gintas
> >
> > 2017-05-24 10:15 GMT+02:00 Gintautas Grigelionis <
> [hidden email]>:
> >
> >> I was thinking about the discussion which touched upon restricted
> >> characters in version strings. While Ivy does not place any
> restrictions on
> >> those strings, Ivy does support versions ranges as specified by OSGi.
> So,
> >> what happens if version range is used as a version string?
> >>
> >> Gintas
> >>
>
>
Loading...