Quantcast

archiving EasyAnt

Jan Matèrne (jhm)
The vote about archiving EasyAnt passed [1].
So according to [2] the todo list is:

Retire: Version Control
-----------------------
Most of our source code is in git, only "site" and "sandbox" use subversion.

--> only git for sources. Homepage in svn.

We place a marker RETIRED_PROJECT file on the top level.
--> done (will commit that after deleting the build jobs)

Add a note at the top of a README file as well so it is immediately visible
to people browsing the github mirror.
--> done, dito

Include a link to this page for a possible future reactivation and a link to
the vote result.
--> done

Ask infra to make the repository read-only.
--> open

Retire: Issue Tracker

Retire: Announcement
--------------------
We have to announce the retirement of the subproject at dev@ant,
announce@apache and the Ant main page.
--> open

Retire: Build Jobs
------------------
All build jobs on Jenkins@Apache, TeamCity and Gump have to be deleted.
- Jenkins: deleted "EasyAnt" (standard build job), updated
http://ant.apache.org/nightlies.html
- TeamCity: no build jobs there
- Gump: it seems, that there is no buildjob for EA
  https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/gump/metadata/profile/gump.xml?view=markup
  @Stefan: as our Gump master ;) please check

Retire: Homepage
----------------
Add the retirement to the archive-page.
--> done

Retire: Releases
----------------
The last released artifacts, if any, should be removed from the Apache
distribution server. To do so, remove any artifact related to the retired
subproject in https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/ant/ (it is managed
with subversion).
--> open

Retire: Free Further Resources
------------------------------
Maybe a subproject locks further resources (update-site, ...). So we have to
unblock them.
--> open: I am not aware of any resources. Someone else?

Re: archiving EasyAnt

Stefan Bodewig
On 2016-12-13, Jan Matèrne (jhm) wrote:

> - Gump: it seems, that there is no buildjob for EA
>   https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/gump/metadata/profile/gump.xml?view=markup
>   @Stefan: as our Gump master ;) please check

True, EasyAnt has never been added to Gump.

AW: archiving EasyAnt

Jan Matèrne (jhm)
Back from holiday I want to do more about archiving EasyAnt.
My todo-list now is... there are some questions open I couldnt answer ...

Jan

Retire: Version Control
-----------------------
Most of our source code is in git, only "site" and "sandbox" use subversion.

--> only git for sources. Homepage in svn.
--> update EA-homepage
--> Should we only place a note on the hp or completely remove them.
    I prefer removing the complete homepage.

Ask infra to make the repository read-only.
--> open (after updating the homepage)

Retire: Issue Tracker
---------------------
If the subproject/component has its own issue tracker we have to close that.
It is enough to make it read-only, so these information are longer available.
--> open; use Jira EASYANT
--> asked infra per https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-13225

Retire: Announcement
--------------------
We have to announce the retirement of the subproject at dev@ant,
announce@apache and the Ant main page.
--> open
   text proposal:
   "
   The Ant PMC voted [1] to archive the EasyAnt subproject and all its
   modules. This means that all its resources are removed or made read only
   and no further development will be done.
   It also means that, if a community grows, the subproject could reactivated.

   [1]  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ant-dev/201612.mbox/ajax/%3C000301d25510%2433d37720%249b7a6560%24%40de%3E
   "

Retire: Releases
----------------
The last released artifacts, if any, should be removed from the Apache
distribution server. To do so, remove any artifact related to the retired
subproject in https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/ant/ (it is managed
with subversion).
--> open, where is the repo?

Retire: Free Further Resources
------------------------------
Maybe a subproject locks further resources (update-site, ...). So we have to
unblock them.
--> open:
   There is a domain "easyant.org":
   www.easyant.org: redirects to ea@ant homepage
   blogs.easyant.org: blog system (last entry 2013)
   repo.easyant.org: an Artifactory instance

   Who owns that domain? What to do with these services? (shutdown ;)

Re: archiving EasyAnt

Stefan Bodewig
On 2017-01-04, Jan Matèrne (jhm) wrote:

> --> Should we only place a note on the hp or completely remove them.
>     I prefer removing the complete homepage.

I'd leave behind a note and point to the read-only SCMs so people who
want to pick up development again have a starting point.

> Retire: Announcement
> --------------------
> We have to announce the retirement of the subproject at dev@ant,
> announce@apache and the Ant main page.
> --> open
>    text proposal:
>    "
>    The Ant PMC voted [1] to archive the EasyAnt subproject and all its
>    modules. This means that all its resources are removed or made read only
>    and no further development will be done.
>    It also means that, if a community grows, the subproject could reactivated.

>    [1]  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ant-dev/201612.mbox/ajax/%3C000301d25510%2433d37720%249b7a6560%24%40de%3E
>    "

link to
http://ant.apache.org/processes.html#Reactivate%20a%20subproject%20or%20component ?

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/easyant/

,----
| $ whois easyant.org
| Domain Name: EASYANT.ORG
| Domain ID: D154821074-LROR
| WHOIS Server:
| Referral URL: http://www.gandi.net
| Updated Date: 2016-11-06T13:42:16Z
| Creation Date: 2008-12-03T11:10:45Z
| Registry Expiry Date: 2017-12-03T11:10:45Z
| Sponsoring Registrar: Gandi SAS
| Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 81
| Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
| Registrant ID: JB6225-GANDI
| Registrant Name: Jean-Louis Boudart
`----

Looks as if Jean-Louis could save some money at the end of this year :-)

AW: archiving EasyAnt

Jan Matèrne (jhm)
Current status:

Jan

Retire: Version Control
-----------------------
Most of our source code is in git, only "site" and "sandbox" use subversion.

--> only git for sources. Homepage in svn.
--> update EA-homepage
--> Should we only place a note on the hp or completely remove them.
    I prefer removing the complete homepage.
--> done

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf
  ant-easyant-buildtypes.git Apache EasyAnt build types
  ant-easyant-core.git      Apache EasyAnt core
  ant-easyant-easyant4e.git Apache EasyAnt for Eclipse
  ant-easyant-plugins.git  Apache EasyAnt plugins
  ant-easyant-skeletons.git Apache EasyAnt skeletons
  ant-easyant-tasks.git    Apache EasyAnt tasks

Ask infra to make the repository read-only.
--> asked infra per https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-13230
--> done

Retire: Issue Tracker
---------------------
If the subproject/component has its own issue tracker we have to close that.
It is enough to make it read-only, so these information are longer available.
--> open; use Jira EASYANT
--> asked infra per https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-13225

Retire: Announcement
--------------------
We have to announce the retirement of the subproject at dev@ant,
announce@apache and the Ant main page.
   text proposal:
   "
   The Ant PMC voted [1] to archive the EasyAnt subproject and all its
   modules. This means that all its resources are removed or made read only
   and no further development will be done.
   It also means that, if a community grows, the subproject could reactivated [2].

   [1]  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ant-dev/201612.mbox/ajax/%3C000301d25510%2433d37720%249b7a6560%24%40de%3E
   [2]  http://ant.apache.org/processes.html#Reactivate%20a%20subproject%20or%20component
   "
--> done
--> open: announcement on [hidden email] (requires sending from Apache account)

Retire: Releases
----------------
The last released artifacts, if any, should be removed from the Apache
distribution server. To do so, remove any artifact related to the retired
subproject in https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/ant/ (it is managed
with subversion: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/easyant/).
--> open, doesnt have write privilege.
--> could someone else remove that directory?

Retire: Free Further Resources
------------------------------
Maybe a subproject locks further resources (update-site, ...). So we have to
unblock them.
--> open:
   There is a domain "easyant.org":
   www.easyant.org: redirects to ea@ant homepage
   blogs.easyant.org: blog system (last entry 2013)
   repo.easyant.org: an Artifactory instance

   Who owns that domain?
      Registrant Name: Jean-Louis Boudart

   Jean-Louis: could you remove the services and the domain?

Re: archiving EasyAnt

Stefan Bodewig
On 2017-01-05, Jan Matèrne (jhm) wrote:

> Retire: Releases
> ----------------

> --> open, doesnt have write privilege.
> --> could someone else remove that directory?

done

Re: archiving EasyAnt

Jean-Louis BOUDART

I'm a little bit puzzled. I still believe there some room to a build tool
as easyant, and i expect that in a near future fresh blood will come and
resurect the project.

Even if i understand the purpose of archiving project without too much
activity i don't get the point of shutting down home page and all related
stuff (including old blog or even the domain name).

For good or bad reason easyant build still rely on repo.easyant.org (see
https://github.com/apache/ant-easyant-core/blob/master/ivysettings.xml  and
related discussion
http://ant.1045680.n5.nabble.com/Evaluating-Bintray-as-a-distribution-platform-for-easyant-plugins-td5714096.html).
Note that with the sources on apache side we should still be able to
rebuild everything.

I always thought apache projects needs to be "buildable"  during long
(that's why we have dist.apache.org and archive.apache.org) available, but
what is the point of having them available if we even don"t have the
available ressources to use it like the website/doc and so on ?? I mean all
this contribute to the history of the project and turning off all those
components/resource will clearly definitively kill the project.

I may be nostalgic on that topic but do we really want to do that ?

If you all believe we should stop thoses resources/components down, then
fine i'll turn off everything, otherwise i will try to keep them up
 (domain included) as much as i can.

WDYT ?

> [...]
> subproject in https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/ant/ (it is
> managed
> with subversion: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/
> easyant/).
> --> open, doesnt have write privilege.
> --> could someone else remove that directory?
>

> Retire: Free Further Resources
> ------------------------------
> Maybe a subproject locks further resources (update-site, ...). So we have
> unblock them.
> --> open:
>    There is a domain "easyant.org":
>    www.easyant.org: redirects to ea@ant homepage
>    blogs.easyant.org: blog system (last entry 2013)
>    repo.easyant.org: an Artifactory instance
>
>    Who owns that domain?
>       Registrant Name: Jean-Louis Boudart
>
>    Jean-Louis: could you remove the services and the domain?

Jean Louis Boudart

AW: archiving EasyAnt

Jan Matèrne (jhm)
> Even if i understand the purpose of archiving project without too much
> activity i don't get the point of shutting down home page and all
> related stuff (including old blog or even the domain name).
>
> For good or bad reason easyant build still rely on repo.easyant.org
> (see https://github.com/apache/ant-easyant-
> core/blob/master/ivysettings.xml  and related discussion
> http://ant.1045680.n5.nabble.com/Evaluating-Bintray-as-a-distribution-
> platform-for-easyant-plugins-td5714096.html).
> Note that with the sources on apache side we should still be able to
> rebuild everything.
>
> I always thought apache projects needs to be "buildable"  during long
> (that's why we have dist.apache.org and archive.apache.org) available,
> but what is the point of having them available if we even don"t have
> the available ressources to use it like the website/doc and so on ?? I
> mean all this contribute to the history of the project and turning off
> all those components/resource will clearly definitively kill the
> project.
>
> I may be nostalgic on that topic but do we really want to do that ?
>
> If you all believe we should stop thoses resources/components down,
> then fine i'll turn off everything, otherwise i will try to keep them
> up  (domain included) as much as i can.
>
> WDYT ?

I wasn't aware that the *.easyant.org resources were required for building EA.
Being able to build even an archived project is valuable as you said - even if _I_ think,
that we don't get new committers ...

But when these resources are required for building EA, why aren't they hosted on Apache infrastructure?
ATM we rely on external resources...

Re: archiving EasyAnt

On 2017-01-05, Jean-Louis Boudart wrote:

> I'm a little bit puzzled. I still believe there some room to a build tool
> as easyant, and i expect that in a near future fresh blood will come and
> resurect the project.

I really wish you had said this when we voted on retiring EasyAnt.

> Even if i understand the purpose of archiving project without too much
> activity i don't get the point of shutting down home page and all related
> stuff (including old blog or even the domain name).

There certainly is no reason to remove the old blog and if you want to
keep the infrastructure intact this is certainly your choice. The
services you host looked as if they would become obsolete with the
retirement of EasyAnt, I think Jan suggested you remove them rather than
request it.

Re: archiving EasyAnt

Jean-Louis BOUDART

> On 2017-01-05, Jean-Louis Boudart wrote:
>
> > I'm a little bit puzzled. I still believe there some room to a build tool
> > as easyant, and i expect that in a near future fresh blood will come and
> > resurect the project.
>
> I really wish you had said this when we voted on retiring EasyAnt.

My bad  :/

> > Even if i understand the purpose of archiving project without too much
> > activity i don't get the point of shutting down home page and all related
> > stuff (including old blog or even the domain name).
>
> There certainly is no reason to remove the old blog and if you want to
> keep the infrastructure intact this is certainly your choice. The
> services you host looked as if they would become obsolete with the
> retirement of EasyAnt, I think Jan suggested you remove them rather than
> request it.

No pb for that :)

> Stefan

Jean Louis Boudart

Re: archiving EasyAnt

Jean-Louis BOUDART
When migrating the project from selfhosted to apache, we asked ourself
where to host the plugins artifacts, there was some discussion to store
them in apache's nexus instance, but it was not really designed for.
Easyant plugins are not distributed as jar, so maven layout was not really
applicable.
There was also other plugins that couldn't be hosted on ASF side mostly
because of incompatible licenses, and we wanted to have one entrypoint to
fetch both "Apache plugins" and "non Apache plugins".
So we started evaluating our options including moving from selfhosted to
bintray [1], we kickstarted it but never finished the transition (mostly
lack of time on my side).

Not sure it would be to complex to finish this migration if it still make
sense.

That's why i said "for good of bad reasons" in my previous emails :).

[1]
http://ant.1045680.n5.nabble.com/Evaluating-Bintray-as-a-distribution-platform-for-easyant-plugins-td5714096.html

> > Even if i understand the purpose of archiving project without too much
> > activity i don't get the point of shutting down home page and all
> > related stuff (including old blog or even the domain name).
> >
> > For good or bad reason easyant build still rely on repo.easyant.org
> > (see https://github.com/apache/ant-easyant-
> > core/blob/master/ivysettings.xml  and related discussion
> > http://ant.1045680.n5.nabble.com/Evaluating-Bintray-as-a-distribution-
> > platform-for-easyant-plugins-td5714096.html).
> > Note that with the sources on apache side we should still be able to
> > rebuild everything.
> >
> > I always thought apache projects needs to be "buildable"  during long
> > (that's why we have dist.apache.org and archive.apache.org) available,
> > but what is the point of having them available if we even don"t have
> > the available ressources to use it like the website/doc and so on ?? I
> > mean all this contribute to the history of the project and turning off
> > all those components/resource will clearly definitively kill the
> > project.
> >
> > I may be nostalgic on that topic but do we really want to do that ?
> >
> > If you all believe we should stop thoses resources/components down,
> > then fine i'll turn off everything, otherwise i will try to keep them
> > up  (domain included) as much as i can.
> >
> > WDYT ?
>

> I wasn't aware that the *.easyant.org resources were required for
> building EA.
> Being able to build even an archived project is valuable as you said -
> even if _I_ think,
> that we don't get new committers ...
>
> But when these resources are required for building EA, why aren't they
> hosted on Apache infrastructure?
> ATM we rely on external resources...
>

> Jan

Jean Louis Boudart

AW: archiving EasyAnt

Retire: Issue Tracker
---------------------
If the subproject/component has its own issue tracker we have to close that.
It is enough to make it read-only, so these information are longer available.
--> open; use Jira EASYANT
--> asked infra per https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-13225
--> done

Retire: Free Further Resources
------------------------------
Maybe a subproject locks further resources (update-site, ...). So we have to
unblock them.
--> open:
   There is a domain "easyant.org":
   www.easyant.org: redirects to ea@ant homepage
   blogs.easyant.org: blog system (last entry 2013)
   repo.easyant.org: an Artifactory instance

   Who owns that domain?
      Registrant Name: Jean-Louis Boudart

--> done: This resource is not under Apache control. Jean-Louis has valid reasons
    to keep them alive.

So retiring EasyAnt is complete.